Friday, June 19, 2009

My Husband is a funny funny Man

Wolverine vs. Nightcrawler‏
After months of careful planning, numerous hot-headed deliberations, and countless hours of pulling this thing together (not really), Joseph H. and I finally managed to definitively set the record straight, and put our adamantium (sp?) where our mouths are. Joseph had a game for the Gamecube, which allowed Marvel super heroes (and villains) to fight against each other, so that we could settle the Wolverine vs. Nightcrawler debate once and for all. Of course, Joseph, adept not only with the Gamecube came in general, but also with this specific game, as well as very practiced in his dexterity with the controller, sided with Wolverine. Never having played a Gamecube game before, and never having played any game with Marvel characters, and never having used a GameCube controller, I became one with Nightcrawler. Now, I know what you're thinking. Right off the bat, you're probably thinking (and probably should be thinking), "who on Earth would side with Nightcrawler - he doesn't stand a chance - certainly not against an adamantium-filled super wonder that is Wolverine, and especially not when animated by the likes of a guy who's never even played the GameCube before". So, here we were in this "first blood" match. Joseph loads the game, picks his guy, does some fancy prestidigitation with the buttons, mutters some stuff about handicaps, and then tells me something about 2 or 3 of the approximately 59 buttons on this controller that I've seen for the first time ever. What happened, you ask? I've got 2 words for you:Air Bamf, baby! That's right - even this poor simpleton of a man, inexperienced at all but Super Mario Brothers for the DS, was able to grind out an overwhelming defeat of the pride of Joseph's Marvel-heavy idols. In a stunning but well-deserved and appropriate battle of the ages, Nightcrawler had defeated the mighty Wolverine. It wasn't easy, but it was fun. As with all good debates, I'm sure my well-experienced counterpart will offer some snippets of our interaction, to try to dress up his glorious defeat. But, when it's all said and done, he will not be able to claim that Nightcrawler did not defeat Wolverine. Not only did he do so, but he did so in a style that was all his own.Thank you Brother Hodgkins for your much-appreciated and long-offered support of my now-proven position of Nightcrawler's superiority (Was it me, or did I just use too many hyphenated words in that last sentence?).Bishop Lake - pfffft! Wolverine's definitely good, but he ain't Nightcrawler. As Joseph and I parted ways, with sadness in his downward-cast eyes, I couldn't help but think that I could detect a faint hint of the odor of brimstone in the air, as I victoriously departed. With much appreciation to Joseph, Jeff and Parker L. (for the second Gamecube controller), Brother Hodgkins, and Stan Lee, and with my tongue inserted firmly into my cheek, I wish each of you a marvellous day! My next challenge? Proving that tapping the top of pop cans does NOT reduce the likelihood/amount of "foaming" - any takers on the counterpoint?
Michael Richter

4 comments:

garhales said...

I just enjoyed an outloud, from the depths of my belly--laugh! Thank you Brother Richter!

Mark said...

I appreciate the rigour of the "study" you conducted, but I will admit, I do question the layout of the game. Would Wolverine really take damage in real life like he does in the game? Truth be told, that's always been my problem with games featuring Wolverine or Hulk or Juggernaut - they take damage in a way that they don't in "real life"...still, I am a big fan of Nightcrawler. I say Maverick is the bomb-diggity though.

Laura Harris said...

Hey Tiffany!

Just wanted to let you know that you have been awarded the Mom of the Year award from me! Check out the post: http://happy-to-scrap.blogspot.com/2009/06/wonderful-awards.html

Hope you are having a wonderful Sunday!

twilight news said...

Nice post. thanks for sharing.