Tuesday, July 8, 2008

A Week with my Dad

So my dad came to visit last week. Yes, my parents are still together and yes I do think it is strange that they do not vacation together. It works out well for us because we don't have an extra bedroom and not a whole lot of extra space for them both to stay. We put a twin size bed in the living room so for the whole month of July this room is going to be soooo cramped!
He got here on Sunday the 29th.
This is him with Will and his new light stick. I can't remember why we gave it to him now. I think to try to get him to sleep in his own bed that night (which still did not work!)
On Monday, Mike and I had dentist appointments in Grand Rapids so we went out early for lunch and to look at some of the Maumee River. It was a lot of fun. We went to Pissanellos Pizza and got some ice cream to take on the walk as well. This part was flooded in February. Look good now.
We walked all the way to the end and the crossed over to the other side
and walked back. By that time it was time for my appointment so I left my dad to watch the kids at a park. (Then I got beat up by the dental tech!) We then went home for Family Home Evening. That was fun we talked about Ancestors and the pioneers.My dad chimed in that his grandparents were Goldie and Charles Swift. I told the kids the story about how Goldie and Charles announced that they had been married to their family and the town they lived in. They took a train to Pennsylvania and were married there on December 24. Later that day at the Midnight Mass the priest announced the names of those making donations and they announced a donation from Mr and Mrs Charles and Goldie Swift. Kind of cool uh! My dad did not know that story. Got to give it up for Family History Work!
Tuesday we kind of just stayed around the house. Madi had a birthday party to go to starting at 1:45 and she was gone all night. So my dad took the rest of us out to dinner at Biaggi's then we went over to Booksamillion totally could spend hours there. Then when I got home I went scrap booking, because scrap booking stops for no one! Had lots of laughs there. So needed it, thanks Leisa!

On Wednesday we took the kids and two of their friends to the Spangler Candy Factory. Not really sure if it was worth the time, money, gas and headache. But the kids liked to eat all the free dum dums! And did you know that they make candy canes year round and circus peanuts (which tastes much better right off the presses than they do out of the bag!) Yeah sugar!

So Thursday was the do nothing again day. We tried to get things cleaned up but do to the smaller living space that just did not happen. I did however get to cook. Boneless Pork ribs with BBQ, Corn on the Cob, and red potatoes sauteed with onion soup mix. YUM!


Friday, Fourth of July! We had fun at a friends house playing Ladder Golf (gots to get me one of those sets), Cornhole (if you don't know what that is check this out, it's hilarious!) Kids went swimming, although way to cold, had lots of food and then some 4 wheeling by Madi!


We then went into town for the fireworks. Lots of sparklers, glow sticks, and mosquito repellent later the fireworks began.









So the fire works were fun, but not really the greatest. Then all of the sudden they were over.



So therefore the no finale dance, by a good friend of ours.


Then as we were about to leave the finale started. So everyone came running back to watch the end.

Then on Saturday we went to the Zoo. We had a blast. Kids and Mike had much to much Icees. But it truly was a beautiful day, cool breeze, sun was out but not to hot, crowds were at a minimum, wonderful day! Then to El Zarape for dinner. Was not as good as it usually is but still worth it!

Then Grandpa had to leave. He waited until after church. I think he enjoyed the few hours of peace. Then off he went. But, first came some hugs!

Thanks for coming out dad! Love ya! This kids already miss you!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Pissanello's and Biaggi's?? I am sooo jealous!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a great time with your Dad. Nice dance - that has to be Jeff! :-P

Keep on blogging...

Steph